[asterisk-users] Installed TDM02B - Problem when other end hangs up

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Mon Jan 29 14:30:01 MST 2007

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> Hi, Lee:
>
> Lee Jenkins wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I just installed a TDM02B and surprisingly, I had really no problems
>>> except one.
>>>
>>> If I place an outbound call on the Zap line (Zap/3), everything works
>>> fine except when the called party hangups before I do.  I do get
>>> congestion, but that is expected.  However, when I try to make another
>>> outbound call using that Zap line, the CLI shows that the call is
>>> being dialed, but nothing happens and I get the telco's message "if
>>> you'd like to make a call, hang up..." after a few seconds.
>>>
>>> If I call out to a party on that Zap line and hangup first, I do not
>>> experience that problem.  It looks like Asterisk is not getting the
>>> termination signal from the telco (Verizon) when the other party hangs
>>> up first.
>>>
>> After playing around a bit, it appears that this is just random as far
>> as I can see.  It may allow me to dial a few times, but then hangup.
>> After rebooting my server, it may let me dial once and then start
>> hanging up.
>>
>> I really hope it's not a fight with every TDM that I will have to
>> install.  After reading so many problems posted on the list, I thought I
>> had got off easy, lol.
>
> This problem is very common. I am in Alberta and a Telus customer. I
> have a very similar issue:
>
> When the remote party hangs up, the TDM card does not detect the
> disconnect. Sometimes it sits on the line for more than 30 seconds,
> making it impossible to make incoming or outgoing calls on the channel.
>
> This is the configuration in zapata.conf:
>
> ; define channels
> context=incoming
> signalling=fxs_ks
> channel => 4
>
> I use kewlstart signalling, which is supposed to cover most every
> situation, right?
>
> I've called the telco to discuss this issue, but nobody has a clue -- be
> it about call disconnect signalling, analog to PBX connections or
> anything else for that matter. This morning I spent more than 30 minutes
> on the phone and got transferred through to four departments, all of
> whom assured me that the *next* department would be able to answer my
> question.
>
> One person I spoke with insisted that most everyone with a PBX is using
> digital lines, but I know firsthand that lots of people still use analog
> lines with their PBXs. They must be doing something to clear the lines
> after the other caller hangs up.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Stephen-

Yes, that seems to be the same boat I am in and I am at a loss as to how
this can be worked around as well.

Regardless, its unacceptable and I am supposed to start putting systems
in the ground here in a few weeks with TDM cards.  Not looking forward
to wrestling with these kinds of problems.  Would be nice to just have
something (anything) I.T. related just work without hassle for once ;)

Hopefully someone better experienced than us will chime in and give us
some guidance.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee