[asterisk-users] Mabe OT? What managed switch is best for VoIP application?

Patrick Cervicek patrick at cervicek.de
Sun Jan 28 10:20:47 MST 2007

For example: VPN ist not standarized. You have the choose between IPsec,
PPtP, L2TP,... We are using OpenVPN, which is not a standard but is free
of charge. And it works :-)
Or "managed switch" is not standarized. You can manage a switch
out-of-band e.g. serial console or you can manage a switch in-band with
SSH, Telnet, WWW-Gui or SNMP.

Please always look at the Specifications of a switch *before* you buy
them ;-)
example:
http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/ProCurve_Switch_2900_Series/specs.htm#Standards
http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_data_sheet0900aecd80371991.html#wp9000360

By the way: Nobody can propose you a switch, if you don't know what you
want. Do you want:
10, 100, 1000 Mbit/s?
How much Ports?
Quality-of-Service? (802.1p, Diff-Serv,...)
Security-Features? (Port Security, Layer 3 ACLs,...)
What VoIP Devices do you use? For snom, you don't need good switches as
they don't support 802.1X or CDP.

I worked with Cisco and HP and they should do what you are looking for.
I even worked with cheap unmanaged switches ~20 Euro and they work with
VoIP.