[asterisk-users] Mabe OT? What managed switch is best for VoIP application?

Cosmin Prund cosmin at adicomsoft.ro
Sun Jan 28 09:03:33 MST 2007

No one told me about 802.1q Vlan before I boght the switch. It was
printed in big fat letters on the box. Now I *do* know about 802.1q but
it's a little bit too late: I already have the switch. Fortunately
(unfortunately) the switch is gone, it's dead. Now I want a better
switch and I'm asking so I don't fall into the same trap *again*.

Again, this big switch is not the only device I bought only to find out
it doesn't exactly do what I want it to do. I also got a nice little
ZyXEL VPN collecting dust in a drawer somewhere. I wanted a VPN
router/firewall that allowed me to connect to my network from my
Windows-based Laptop computer, using the tools available in the system.
Guess what: I *can* connect to the ZyXEL using an paid-for client that
costs almost as much as the firewall itself. I'm now running PopTop on
my Linux Asterisk box and it works just fine, and it's a lot cheaper.
And I did learn about a few other standards names in the process: AFTER
I bought the hardware device.

So the idea is very simple: I need a switch that does VoIP well, has
lots of ports and does 802.1q VLAN. I also want it to be managed and
have it's management tools help me diagnose problems. That's my biggest
question right now: What *exactly* am I looking for? My Trendent switch
has management and it's easy to use for what it does, but it would never
help me diagnose a network problem. It took a number of disconected
*local* LAN VoIP calls before I noticed the switch is flowed and needs
to be replaced.

Thanks,
Cosmin Prund