[asterisk-users] Analog FXO status checking

François Delawarde fdelawarde at wirelessmundi.com
Fri Jan 26 10:17:03 MST 2007

Hi all,

I would like to make a script/program that would be able to show lots of
status information from my analog FXO lines (and FXS lines in the near
future).

Example of interesting status information:
- Hook status: is there a call being made with that zap?
- Voltage status: cable connected, voltage values (if possible), line
ringing?
- RX/TX Volume status

I'm using a TDM400 card with FXO modules plugged on spanish lines, and
trying to parse "zap show channel X" with Asterisk 1.4.0 gives me
unexpected results:

- "Hookstate (FXS only)" line shows Onhook when cable is disconnected
and Offhook when cable is connected, whether there is a phone call or
not... Is it normal (with an FXO line)? Can someone explain me why?

- The only way i found to know if the line is in use is to check the
"Echo Cancellation" line which shows "currently ON"... Is there another
way without having to parse "core show channels concise"?

- No volume information, voltage status or anything.

Would it be possible to check status of those lines (with voltage info,
...) making a program that would read information from "/dev/zap/X"
character devices (ioctl?) without having to stop asterisk ("/dev/zap/3:
Device or resource busy" when asterisk is running)?

Thanks in advance for anyone that could help me!