[asterisk-users] Semi OT - Point to Point FXO/FXS GatewayCommunication

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 09:28:49 MST 2007

On 1/26/07, Yuan LIU <yliu11 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: "C F" <shmaltz at gmail.com>
> >
> >Cory, it's called dialplan magic it realy depends what PBX it is, not
> >all of them allow dial plan magic. But it is possible on most pbxes.
>
> CF: What exactly is "diaplan magic"?  I googled but found little info.

Did you really? You made my day.

> The basic use case in Cory's posting does not seem to require special
> programming in PBX, if my understanding is correct:
>
> <phones 1,2,3 > --- (FXS' 1,2,3)<PBX>(FXS' 4,5,6) --- (A-FXO's
> 4,5,6)<Asterisk A>
>                                      |---- { IP } ----|
>                    <Asterisk B>(B-FXS' 4,5,6) --- <phones 4,5,6>
>
> In this case, Asterisks A and B only need to agree on sending the same
> signals received by A-FXO 4 (which always come from PBX-FXS 4) to B-FXS 4
> (onto phone 4), and sending the same numbers received by B-FXS 4 (from phone
> 4) to PBX-FXO4 (via A-FXO 4) and so on.  PBX would have no knowledge that
> it's not talking to a POTS phone.  Is this correct?

He is not talking about 2 Asterisks, but about legacy PBX systems. In
most cases the problem is that an FXS gateway using VoIP to an FXO
gateway will not be able to send a flash down VoIP to the FXO, which
is needed for the legacy PBX features. Thats why hooking into on
asterisk connected using FXO localy to the legacy system, and VoIP
extensions on asterisk will work much better than a remote asterisk
system. This is where DP magic might come in, but could work without
any modifications to the legacy PBX dialplan.

BTW, dialplan magic means that you create special dialplan that based
on the digits routes it differently, I think I made up the term (if
it's a term) and google might not yet have picked up on it.