[asterisk-users] SPA3K to SPA3K DTMF issue

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Jan 25 18:05:50 MST 2007

As per my (numerous) prior statements on this subject.... Asterisk WILL
NOT properly work with the spa-3000 DTMF in rfc2833. Use INBAND when
dealing with Asterisk on both the FXO/FXS ports of the spa3k if you are
dealing with Asterisk. This is a setting in BOTH sip.conf and spa3k pstn
and line 1 tabs.

Symptoms are no DTMF after call completion (voicemail
from outside to fxo) and IVR attempts from FXS attached analog phones.

Using INFO negates use of dtmf control functions on your fxs/fxo ports -
transfer etc. - Take your pick of what is more important to you.

There should really be a wiki on this! It gets asked often.

I might qualify that this is an issue with 1.2.x (and probably earlier) -
not sure if any fixes make this work or work better in 1.4. Fault
(apparently) lies with both sipura(linksys) and digium.

Since in this case you are connecting the spa3k's thru Asterisk this would
apply. I have not tried connecting two spa3k's directly together via
network to see if they play together in this regard.

Doug

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Mark Coccimiglio wrote:

> My experience has been to be consistant.  The only time I have had
> problems with DTMF is when I am not using the same DTMF encoding
> technique on all hardware.  Your choices are: "INFO", RFC2833 or
> INBAND.  Some equipment also has an "AUTO" option but I would not
> recomend it.  Stick with INFO or rfc2833 and be consistant across the
> enterprise.
>
> Mark C
> IS Manager
> http://www.psh-inc.com
>
> sdcharly at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has anyone faced an issue when sending DTMF from FXS of one SPA3K to
> > FXO of another SPA3K through asterisk?
> >
> > Im not able to send it properly. Wanna be sure if its an issue faced
> > by all..
> >
> > If you have a fix for it, pls guide me.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Dan

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug at crompton.com        *