[asterisk-users] NAT solutions

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Jan 25 01:16:40 MST 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Yuan LIU wrote:

> I have a really dumb question.  It appears that Yahoo, MSN, AIM, you name
> them, they don't have a NAT problem, and some use SIP.  I don't think they
> all stay in voice path, either.  What takes?

Their SIP servers aren't behind NAT firewalls, so the problem shifts from
them to you ...

In the UK, there is a good number (100's of thousands? More?) of ADSL
customers who also connect their PC directly to the 'net (via free USB
adapters that most ISPs supply) so in this situation you could well be
using a soft-phone on one PC to talk to another soft-phone on another PC,
both directly connected to the net without NAT, using a non NATted SIP
server of some kind to setup the call, then data doesn't need to be
hairpinned via the SIP server.

And they are possibly using proprietary clients that know more about
NATting than a generic SIP client might, so can use this to avoid NATting
issues too...

Gordon