[asterisk-users] Network\Snom phone oddity

Mike Hammett asterisk-users at ics-il.net
Wed Jan 17 13:01:02 MST 2007

I have a client that has 5 Snom 320s.  4 work great, one does not.  I upgrade the firmware to the latest (6.5.2) and the problem goes away, but then comes back a couple days later.

There is a slight packet loss on the phone (about 1%), though there is no packet loss on any of the other phones.

I determine the packet loss by the Linux command "ping -f -c 10000 192.168.2.10".

Outgoing calls are junk, incoming calls are fine. (relatively speaking)

The config from one phone to the next is the same except for account and voicemail settings.

sip.conf is the same except for account.

okay, the phone is bad, so I order a new one.  This phone, however, is reporting 4% - 30% packet loss so every call is horrible just due to the lost packets (I'd assume).

I install a new cable into a different port on the switch (same port as a working phone, with the working phone going into the same port as the old cable).  Same results.

Take this phone elsewhere.  Packet loss continues.  I even try different power supplies and handsets to find SOME sort of fault other than the obvious.

I take the old phone back to my office and it works flawlessly, though my client uses the phone constantly all day whereas we only did approximately a half hour of testing.

I take the new phone back to my office and it now has 0% packet loss.

So, do I have two broken phones or is there something else wrong?

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com