[asterisk-users] Directory too difficult?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Jan 15 15:30:52 MST 2007

Just as a followup, I'll intimate to the list what went down: (paraphrased)

I'm in Edmonton, the users are in Calgary, so I conferenced in to a Calgary
conference with all of the suits in the big boardroom. I basically let them
argue themselves in circles about how the Directory app should work in order
that they may exhaust themselves, then I politely informed them that the
Directory app operated basically the same as on the old Meridian, and that
ran for years without comment, so why was it an issue now? And, as it turned
out, the one manager who was raising a stink about the directory app
actually had never *used* the directory, he had just heard "from a friend"
that Asterisk was crap and we were fools for using it, so he was looking for
any excuse to go back to Meridian. I asked for metrics to back up that
assertion, he had none, I said: "I have some metrics as to how effective
Asterisk is" and ran phpMyAdmin queries in real time to show total number of
calls (a lot), how many buggered up (very, very few), how many minutes we
had saved in long distance (a lot), how fast we could provision a new user
with a handset and a DID (really really fast), how much the handsets cost
(cheaper than Meridian, 1/3 the price of a Mitel) and overall what the
platform had cost us (not a lot). He then countered with how the directory
was useless because "almost no one he knew had letters on his mobile phone"
and I asked how many people in the boardroom had their mobiles with them,
all of them said "we all have them", I said "Pull them out, and if even one
of you has a keypad with no letters on it, I will pull Asterisk out tomorrow
and replace it with Meridian. They all did, and predictably all of them had
letters on the keypads.

A long silence ensued. Then, they thanked me, and apologized for wasting my
time.

So in the end, the guy who made this stink wound up looking really really
stupid in front of his peers, and the suits in Calgary have a new
appreciation for how cool Asterisk is. To throw them a bone, I did propose a
higher level directory on top of the Directory application so they can press
1 for sales, 2 for accounting etc and told them that they would have to work
out amongst themselves  what would happen i.e. who would pick up the phone
if someone pressed 1 or 2. I haven't heard back from them yet, presumably
they are still arguing about it.

Lessons learned:

1. If your install is good, compile stats that you can yank up at a moments
notice and wave under the nose of any nay-sayer. Stats speak for themselves.

2. Be diplomatic. If I had flippantly told the suits that this was an
ID-10-T error, I'd be in Calgary right now installing a Meridian.