[asterisk-users] SPA 3000 won't relay DTMF to doorphone

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Mon Jan 15 11:33:07 MST 2007

I am not sure what you are asking? The problem is that rfc2833 does not
play well with the spa-3000 and Asterisk. I am not sure if it is limited
to just the spa3k. There is a bug causing this that has been documented.
Google "spa3000 dtmf bug asterisk" for more info. The bottom line is that
you need to use sip info (inband dtmf) if you desire dtmf transfer to the
other party after the call has completed. Such as you call a bank, or you
call your Asterisk voicemail, or your door lock which is actuated by dtmf.
If none of these are of interest and you would rather have the dtmf
features of Asterisk, then use rfc2833. you can't have both!

Doug

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Julio Arruda wrote:

> Doug,
> You are saying that RFC2833 somehow doesn't work if you have the
> Asterisk AND at a distinct time (still within the same call), the callee
> to see the DTMF, correct ? Would this be in any case ? (meaning, if the
> voice path is going via the Asterisk or UA to UA directly ?)
>
> I've my spa3k right now somewhat far :-), and I can't test it, but you
> know by any chance if SIP INFO would suffer from the same curse :-) ?
>  From my limited understand, a big difference in this case is that
> RFC2833 really is "in the RTP stream, but is not voice payload", while
> with SIP INFO, is done 100% out-of-band.
>

> Doug Crompton wrote:
> > I am using spa3000 hardware - 2.0.1(5673) firmware - 3.1.3(GWa)
> > I have used newer firmwares but find that 3.1.3 had less echo problems.
> >
> > Connect a real analog phone to spa3000 fxs.  Call it from another source,
> > when connected send DTMF tones from that source. You should hear at least
> > 100ms or more of the tone. inband should work. I suspect you are using
> > alaw or ulaw codecs. There is really no reason to use anything else. When
> > it does not work you will hear nothing more then a click or an ocassional
> > to short tone.
> >
> > Another thing to check is that you should not be using any transfer
> > options in your dial statement (t or T or other special features.
> >
> > You really have to listen to this to check it and make changes. Be sure to
> > restart both spa3000 and asterisk when you make changes. Otherwise you can
> > get fooled.
> >
> > If you are making the call from the spa3000 fxo to fxs, you need to have
> > inband in BOTH.
> >
> > This is a known bug in Asterisk<>spa3000 for dtmf. I think the problem is
> > somewhat shared but improvements in 1.4 may gelp or fic the problem. I am
> > using 1.2 so I cannot answer that.
> >
> > Basically when using the spa3000 you have to make the choice of wether you
> > want to be able to use dtmf features (transfer etc.)OR have the capability
> > to send DTMF to or from the caller or callee. you really can't have both.
> > Thus inband vs. rfc2833. I chose inband so I can interact with called
> > ivr's and call in from pstn and access my VM.
> >
> > Doug

> >> Thanks for your suggestion. We tried that without success (using firmware
> >> 3.1.7(GWc))
> >>
> >> Do you think an upgrade to 3.1.10 might be warranted?

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug at crompton.com        *