[asterisk-users] Echo...

Ken Williams ken at intermountainelectronics.com
Thu Jan 11 18:22:12 MST 2007

I've spent all day today trying to fix an echo problem and I've made no
ground whatsoever.

I have Digium TDM400 with 3 FXO & 1 FXS.  I've tried this computer at
two completely different sites with different phone providers.  I've
tried compiling & installing different versions of Zaptel (currently
running 1.4.0, started at 1.2.9 and worked my way up).  I've tried
compiling MG2 & Mark, AGGRESSIVE & not.  I've played with echocancel &
echotraining, starting at 32 & 100, increasing the training up to 1100,
200 at a time, then increasing echocancel to 64, 128, 256 until I've
gone through 100 different combinations.  I've increased & decreased in
different ways both txgain & rxgain.

I must be, MUST be missing something, as nothing seems to make any
difference.  If I increase or decrease txgain/rxgain, I can hear the
noise go up or down as expected, but that's it.  Below is my
zapata.conf, any help would be most appreciated, I'm going crazy.

Here's a few questions I have I hope will help:
1. How do I determine which version of Zaptel is running?
2. How do I determine which echo canceller is installed & running
(MARK2, MG2, so on)
3. It seems to be only incoming calls that have an echo and only on the
inside, the outside never hears one, what does this mean?

Thanks for any help,
Ken

------------zapata.conf------------
;
; Zapata telephony interface
;
; Configuration file

[trunkgroups]

[channels]
language=en
context=from-zaptel
signalling=fxs_ks
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=yes
usecallingpres=yes
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
cancallforward=yes
callreturn=yes
echocancel=64
echocancelwhenbridged=no
echotraining=800
rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
group=0
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
immediate=no
;faxdetect=both
faxdetect=incoming
;faxdetect=outgoing
;faxdetect=no

;Include genzaptelconf configs
#include zapata-auto.conf
group=1

----------zapata-auto.conf-------------
; Autogenerated by /usr/local/sbin/genzaptelconf -- do not hand edit
; Zaptel Channels Configurations (zapata.conf)
;
; This is not intended to be a complete zapata.conf. Rather, it is
intended
; to be #include-d by /etc/zapata.conf that will include the global
settings
;
callerid=asreceived

; Span 1: WCTDM/0 "Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 1"
signalling=fxo_ks
; Note: this is an extension. Create a ZAP extension in AMP for Channel
1
context=from-internal
group=1
channel => 1

signalling=fxs_ks
; Note: this is a trunk. Create a ZAP trunk in AMP for Channel 2
context=from-zaptel
group=0
channel => 2

signalling=fxs_ks
; Note: this is a trunk. Create a ZAP trunk in AMP for Channel 3
context=from-zaptel
group=0
channel => 3

signalling=fxs_ks
; Note: this is a trunk. Create a ZAP trunk in AMP for Channel 4
context=from-zaptel
group=0
channel => 4

; Span 2: ZTDUMMY/1 "ZTDUMMY/1 1"