[asterisk-users] Some queries on g729 license.

Bill Hackensack billhackensack at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 13:08:56 MST 2007

On 1/8/07, Al Bochter <Al.Bochter at bochterservices.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> So tell me what this FREE open source G729 is
>
> I am told that you can use these Codecs with your Asterisk !
>
> http://www.readytechnology.co.uk/open/ipp-codecs-g729-g723.1/
>
> You can do it Freely !!

Al, I don't know if you're stupid, or you just like stirring things up.
Once again, READ!  Read the entire article before posting it.

To quote:

To use G.729 or G.723.1 you may need to pay a royalty fee. Please see
http://www.sipro.com for details. Please note that this code is available
for you to download for education purposes only and if a patent exists in
your country for G.729 or G.723.1 then you should contact the owner of that
patent and request their permission before executing the code.

Now, Al, what does that say? I don't know what country you live in (and
don't care), but if you live in a country (or possibly do business with a
country) that honors patents, then you will have to pay to license this
codec.
Just because I _can_ break the law, does not mean that I should, or that I
have the right to, or that it's ok to do so.