[asterisk-users] HowTO configure voice T1

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Thu Jan 4 22:03:24 MST 2007

Forrest Beck wrote:
> PRI is just a standard used on the T1 medium.  If you have a solid T1
> between the locations.  Why not use PRI on the T1.  If the T1 is
> dedicated point to point between locations, then you can use PRI on
> the line dedicating one channel to signaling (d channel).  If you
> can't give up the 24th channel then have a look at HDLC.  I know the
> sangoma cards support HDLC, but I am not sure about Digium.  If you
> choose PRI, then you just need to set one side as pri_net and the
> other as pri_cpe.

If you have a standard point to point channelized T-1 Asterisk can make
it into a PRI if the line is going into Asterisk on both ends of the line.

If one side is Asterisk and the other is Nortel then you cannot do this.
  Nortel requires expensive cards and a software key to support PRI.

As far as Asterisk is concerned a non-PRI Channelized T-1 is just a
bunch of analog lines (channels).