[asterisk-users] Best inexpensive home office router for VoIP (QoS with maybe PoE)

Mike mlists at bigrideau.com
Thu Jan 4 11:32:00 MST 2007

Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for opinions on the "best value" router to use for home
> offices.  It should work for a scenario in which there are 3 computers
> and 2 SIP phones, handling QoS so that the phones always have higher
> priority traffic than the PCs. (and not rely on the phones to do the
> QoS because some PCs may not be connected to the phones).
>
> QoS could be based on destination and source IP (i.e. an Asterisk
> server) or MAC address of the phones. Ideally with PoE, but at this
> point it's just a bonus.
>
> What are people on this list using?  I've found that the mention QoS
> on a box doesn't guarantee any real QoS functionality.

 QoS on the router will only guarantee your phone traffic gets higher
priority than other (web, mail etc..) however once the bits leave your
router any QoS is essentially lost as the call traverses the internet.
Having QoS on your router is valuable to prevent some large download
from buggering your calls though.