[asterisk-users] Maybe a NAT problem

Bob Chiodini bchiodini at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 05:42:11 MST 2007

Facundo Barrera - GMail wrote:
> Hi list:
>         This is my first post and first off all i want to wish a good
> year for everone! well my problem is; i already installed asterisk on
> a server and created a channel and a couple of extensions, all seems
> to work just fine, y can make calls and receive them, i'm using the
> x-lite client that also works very good, this is the topology of the
> net
>

> (LAN - some clients) --------|| Internal interface-private IP(server
> Running Asterisk)external interface-public IP ||---------INTERNET
>
> Well i configure * to bind all address, so it's service listen on the
> two interfaces, when i make a call from a client inside my LAN to a
> client on the INTERNET, the person receives the call and listen me
> perfectly, but i can't listen any audio from him, i read about the
> issue and it seems to be a problem of nating, keep in mind that this
> server is masquerading all my LAN ips, so i can share my internet
> conenction, so when i receive a call form the outside world in fact
> x-lite shows me that the call originate from my inside interface IP of
> the server, but this is the strange thing the packets that originate
> the call from the outside world arrive just fine but when i answer the
> call i can't hear any audio at all.
>
> Any ideas how to solute this? hope not receive too much flames of this
> common issue
>
> Thanks a lot

In your SIP configs specify that the extensions are natted:

nat=yes
externhost=<External IP address>
localnet=<Local IP subnet>/<local subnet mask>

These are global settings.

It might also be helpful to set canreinvite=no for each extension.

There are probably firewall tricks you can do as well, but its early and
I'm a couple cups of coffee shy.

Bob...