[asterisk-users] Asterisk Faxing Support

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Wed Feb 28 17:53:00 MST 2007

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

>Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
>

>>Steve Underwood and the other fine persons that have helped to develop
>>the software DSPs and other stuff required for FoIP support also have
>>no interest in writing any further faxing support for Asterisk (RxFax,
>>TxFax + the newest span_dsp wont even compile, much less work under
>>Asterisk any more) probably because they know it will never be
>>included into the Asterisk code.
>>

>It has not been offered for inclusion into the Asterisk code base; it
>would be willingly accepted if it was offered for inclusion.

The code in question is GPL.  Asterisk is GPL.  So as far as the desired
contribution is concerned, there is nothing there that prohibits it from
inclusion.

The problem, however, as we all know, is that the Asterisk maintainer,
Digium, requires undue retribution in the form of "disclaimers" before
it will accept any contribution into the code repository - and in this
case the author of the desired contribution is reasonably refusing.

And that, I believe, condenses a vast portion of the frustration that
the Mr. Joakimsen was expressing.

Lee.