[asterisk-users] Asterisk Faxing Support

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Feb 28 17:32:48 MST 2007

Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
> 1.4 Adds support for T.38 pass through only and no other sort of
> faxing, the endpoint must support T.38 and you must send your call to
> a T.38 gateway and you must not use NAT anywhere in  your network and
> you must enable re-invites which could cause CDRs not to reflect the
> true details of the call.

This is not true; reinvite has zero effect on CDRs, as has been
frequently discussed and documented on this and other places.

> Asterisk/Digium also has no interest in any further interest in
> expanding T.38 or faxing support in Asterisk.

'Asterisk' is a software product, not a person or a group of people. In
any case, your statement is false. Digium is quite interested in
pursuing more FAX (both TDM and T.38) support in Asterisk, and we are
exploring options all the time.

> Steve Underwood and the other fine persons that have helped to develop
> the software DSPs and other stuff required for FoIP support also have
> no interest in writing any further faxing support for Asterisk (RxFax,
> TxFax + the newest span_dsp wont even compile, much less work under
> Asterisk any more) probably because they know it will never be
> included into the Asterisk code.

It has not been offered for inclusion into the Asterisk code base; it
would be willingly accepted if it was offered for inclusion.