[asterisk-users] Newbie Planning Help

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Wed Feb 28 16:01:06 MST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 21:08, mail-lists wrote:
> > a) to what extent Asterisk can manage everything necessary to allow
> > machines A and B to communicate if they were SIP phones.  Is it
> > possible to go for a setup with the firewalls/NAT devices as shown
>
> If the asterisk machine isn't NATed you shouldn't have a problem at
> all. If you're using SIP clients just make sure nat=yes
> is set in each of the client definitions in sip.conf
>
> > b) if I go with IAX softphones, does communication between A and B
> > have to go through S, or can Asterisk "hand-off" the IAX
> > conversation so that A and B talk directly.
>
> I'm not sure in this case since both clients are going to be NATed.
> I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't work with SIP clients.

Now you have confused me.  In the answer to a) you say that for each SIP
client I say nat=yes and it will work, yet here you say this wouldn't
work if both clients are going to be SIP.

> Since IAX has less problems with NAT traversal it might work fine -
> try setting canreinvite=yes in your iax.conf and monitor
> rtp traffic at the asterisk CLI

You have confused me again.  I thought the point of IAX is that there
isn't any separate RTP traffic.

> > c) the example documentation shows seperate entries in iax.conf for
> > incoming and outgoing calls.  In my case (assuming IAX softphones)
> > would I just have entries for A and B of type friend?
> >
> > Can someone give me some advice about how to proceed.
>
> type=friend works for me...

I am not sure where all that leaves me.  Should I use SIP everywhere or
IAX everywhere
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk