[asterisk-users] Registrations, how many is too many?

voiplist gotvoip at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 09:54:30 MST 2007

Anyone have any idea if there is some sort of limitation to the number
of SIP or IAX end points which can register to an Asterisk system
(2.8Ghz dual processor, 2GB ram) while also handling 30-50
simultaneous calls without getting into trouble?

Of course the 30-50 simultaneous calls end up being 60-100 channels of
mostly G711 VoIP.

We have seen issues where our Asterisk just gets all crazy and SIP
quits working all together, to the point sometimes where we can't even
fix it with a restart.

At one point we were using all realtime for IAX and SIP clients, then
we went to text files (more or less), still we are seeing this issue.

When this happens we can't even do simple things with SIP like "sip
show peers" etc. because Asterisk just says that the application
doesn't exist.

This has been a battle for a few months and we can't put our finger on
it. Can't seem to figure out when it's going to happen either which is
VERY tough on the nerves to say the least.

This happens during peak times but also in the middle of the night
when call volume is slow to non existent.

The only thing that's constant during both peak and non peak times is
the amount of registrations the system deals with.

We have approx 1500-1800 end points registering to this particular
system at any one time. This is a split between IAX and SIP not sure
what the percentage of each is at the moment.

It's been a long time since a problem has beat me/us and this one has
won so far.

Any help in getting my sanity back would be REALLY appreciated.