[asterisk-users] To use asterisk or proprietary hardware, that is the question

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 09:42:41 MST 2007

> Agreed.  Monitor yes.    But why let the system run.. only to find out it is
> going to go down after being up for 100 days?    Yes, it should be able to
> run continually with no issues, but unfortunately asterisk seems to have
> memory leaks.  1.2.6 is the only one we've found that will run and run and
> run.

You may explore some other possibilities about stability beyond
asterisk.  The longest running install of asterisk that I have has
been stable and successfully ran the pre-1.0 versions dating from
September 2004 onward, most of the releases in the 1.0.x series, a
couple of versions of CVS-head, and most of the 1.2.x releases.
Across all these releases, I've been fortunate enough to not have come
across any memory leaks.  There have been memory leaks noted in mantis
in various components of asterisk, I just never experienced any.

There were two stability exceptions for this asterisk box: version
1.2.2 (which had a known fatal flaw, but not a memeory leak), and a
version of CVS-head that I ran prior to the release of 1.2.0, and that
problem was really a zaptel issue.

The last time I rebooted that asterisk box, the uptime was listed at
369 days, and I only rebooted because I had migrated to a different OS
to standardize the business on a different flavor of RedHat.

I don't write these things so compete, or to doubt your experiences, I
just want to show readers of this list that it is possible to run
asterisk with a high degree of stability.

- Noah