[asterisk-users] endless story of bristuff patching (was: zaptel 1.4.0 on Fedora Core 6 x86_64)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Feb 22 15:33:21 MST 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:29:47AM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > bristuff is the only patch in functionality, and for 1.2.15 I need to
> > drop it again, because it does not apply
>
> Gee, it shows you're not on the bristuff list.

OK, I'm on it, but it seems like it exists less than two weeks.

> Up-to-date bristuff patch for Asterisk:
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-voip/asterisk/trunk/debian/patches/bristuff.dpatch?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

Is there a way to extract this patch w/o html markup like  ?

> BTW: the one for Zaptel:
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-voip/zaptel/trunk/debian/patches/bristuff.dpatch?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
>
> > and there is no upstream equivalent (why isn't bristuff merged in?).
>
> Ask Kapejod.

You mean you don't know, and I should ask the author, or you know and
it's a delicate subject, so you better not answer? ;)

> > But I don't think bristuff should have done you any harm.
>
> bristuff has many changes to the ISDN stack. Some may disapprove of
> them. It is considered as better in many accounts.
>
> The chan_capi included in bristuff is probably not as good as
> chan_capi-cm from sourceforge. In Debian we simply delete all the capi
> modules from the bristuff version.

chan_api is rather external to asterisk, I'm more concerned about core
feature patching resulting in different ABI/API like function calls in
libpri/zaptel. Can't at least these bits be merged into asteriks
upstream? Anything else can even be built external to the main
asterisk build, e.g. against an asterisk-devel package.

I'm just tired of every asterisk update breaking bristuff. Users want
bristuff for one reason or another, and I can't stall an asterisk
update until the next bnristuff update adjusts to the latest asterisk
release.

To me it looks like politics - cold war of different approaches. :/

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net