[asterisk-users] Re: FW: zaptel 1.4.0 on Fedora Core 6 x86_64

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Feb 21 23:54:42 MST 2007

BTW Carlos, all your posts are with "Importance: High" in this thread.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 08:35:12PM -0500, Carlos Alperin wrote:
> Axel,
>
> Thanks for your advice, but as I tried to found the real problem overpass
> the search is just like close my eyes.

Not really what I was suggesting, see below.

> I'm trying to learn in order to not repeat same mistake twice. I don't know
> how the rpm's are build, and I don't think that
> You can apply on every kind of variation you can find. Also, there are
> additional functions I going to add, that are directly related
> To the full system, so I cannot drive this on blind packages.
>
> Thanks a lot, but I'm going to search for the solution and find what mistake
> I made.

Packages, either rpms, debs, ebuilds or any other technology allow you
not only to blindly use them, but in fact you can rebuild them, modify
them source-wise at will or simply be reviewed for seeing how to build
something.

A src.rpm is a collection of source, patches and a specfile which is
more or less a recipe on how to build and install the
sources/patches. So if you want to go the build-from-scratch route,
you can look at how the packages were built, and either manually
repeat the steps or letting rpmbuild do that for you.

And if you need modifications you can do that at package level, too, a
patch usually takes two lines to be added. Finally if your
modifications could be generally useful you can submit the changes
back for the next package update to cover them.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net