[asterisk-users] Linux Command Line Soft Phone - $200+ bonus

chester c young chestercyoung at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 15:41:18 MST 2007

--- Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:

> your requirement don't really make sense.

to try again:

speex and/or gsm

> > - put into /etc/init.d/___ - phone enabled on boot up
>
> Huh? IS that phone a client program? If so: why should it be run as a
> server?
>
> There are plenty of ways to run a program at desktop startup.

you are right - I'm after ease of maintenance.

> > - automatically navigate around gnome and kde sound
>
> Huh?

I have noticed in some soft phone docs that the gnome and kde sound
systems need to be turned off for the soft phone to work.  the phone
needs to work with neither gnome nor kde running.

> > - automatically navigate dhcp (if any)
>
> Huh?

that the softphone will find its way to the server whether or not the
computer is behind a router (dhcp).

> > - gnu has something sort of close(?)
> > - must install through one command, thru apt-get, or thru synaptic
>
> On which distribution?

initial install on Ubuntu 6.10

> Debian already has a host of free phones. The best seem to be Twinkle
> and Ekiga for SIP and kiax for IAX. A number of others are usable.
>
> The only one that does *both* SIP and IAX (if you really need that)
> is yate-gtk :-p .

I'm after is a phone that is working when the computer boots.  NO user
interface - all control is done through the asterisk server to which
it's connected.  also, as above, not dependent on gnome or kde - with
no graphics this should not be a problem.

> > - must be hosted in free public place
> > - must run on Ubuntu first try
>
> Which version? Ubuntu has some of the Debian packages.

6.10

> > phase 2:
> > - have same run under Puppy Linux
>
> Consider giving more information on the limitations of the system
> (memory? disk-space?)

I'm concerned (and ignorant) about installation