[asterisk-users] Open CallerID Database?

Rob Schall rschall at callone.net
Mon Feb 19 13:30:17 MST 2007

It seems like an interesting idea, but if this would be a public user
updated 411, who would ensure that was more up to date than 411. If the
numbers are off from 411, then the phone provider isn't keeping the
records properly. A customer should be notifying the phone company when
they are moving, etc, so when people want to find their business via
411, it should resolve correctly. If a customer does make that change,
unless they, or another user who knows of their change, updates the
public user run DB, then it will be outdated in no time.

Seems like you would want some type of hybrid. Have a weekly check of
all the submitted numbers and look for any changes in 411. If that
updates, then the user's information would be updated, and the person
who submitted it would be contacted. Although I still think 411 would
remain more up to date, it probably would be better than just relying on
a group of users to keep businesses information up to date.

Rob