[asterisk-users] Open CallerID Database?

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Mon Feb 19 13:05:27 MST 2007

Am Montag, den 19.02.2007, 12:39 -0700 schrieb Robert Norton - SophMedia
LLC:
> Hey Guys,
> I’m curious if there’s an interest in a free, CallerID database? For
> those of you in the same spot we are, our current provider only
> provides us with the CND, excluding CNAM.
>
> Would creating a public database, managed by users be worthwhile to
> anyone?

Sounds like a great thing to have, but I doubt this is possible without
violating existing laws. At least in Europe there are some quite
restricting rules concerning the storage and transmission of
people-related data. Without explicit permission you might not be
allowed to transmit people's "unlisted" phone numbers, for example.

Take care,

An(not a lawyer)selm