[asterisk-users] Weird problem in wctdm24xxp driver

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Feb 17 13:38:36 MST 2007

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 11:52:32PM +0330, Paradise Dove wrote:
> On 2/17/07, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> >
> >On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 07:52:25PM +0330, Paradise Dove wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm running FC3 with kernel 2.6.11.
> >> All the binary files and zaptel kernel modules is not available to system at
> >> boot time.
> >> They are extracted in a ram disk at system startup and then zaptel modules
> >> are loaded manually and so on.
> >> I have no problem with this boot routine and i've been tested all digium
> >> cards (expect tdm24) and they work fine till now.
> >>
> >> The problem appeared when i purchased the new TDM2400 card. after installing
> >> this new card system stopped on modprobe wctdm24xxp ot boot time! (randomly
> >> sleeping on "Resetting the modules.." / "During Resetting the modules..."
> >> and sometimes "After resetting the modules...) but no step further.
> >> Nothing happened till i killed modprobe manually so no modules detected on
> >> tdm24. (Port 1: Not Installed, ....)

Strange. You can kill the modprobe process? In't probing done in kernel
with the process in state D?

To see what the kernel is doing: alt-sysrq-p (or: echo p >/proc/sysrq-trigger )

> >> My motherboard is a brand new Intel 3010 chipset from supermicro with
> >> 3.3Vpci slots. i also changed the motherboard to Intel 7230 chipset
> >> with 5V slot
> >> but nothing changed. I also switched back to zaptel-1.2.13 and removed the
> >> modules from the board and re-inserted them as digium support recommended,
> >> but nothing changed. I also changed to 2.6.12 kernel but still the same
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> Finally i changed the system startup routine and copied all extracted zaptel
> >> files to hard-disk into the standard location in kernel dirs and found that
> >> now system starts-up with no problem and detects TDM24 at boot time!!!
> >
> >Hmmm...
> >
> >How exactly do you load the modules? With insmod or modprobe?
>

> when i put zaptel modules in kernel dirs. it detects all the needed modules.
> and from the dmesg it seems (as it should be) to load zaptel first and then
> wctdm24xxp. so i don't need to do a insmod or modprobe at all. the problem
> comes when i rmmod these modules and modprobe or insmod them again.

This is run somewhere in rc.sysinit . Specifically, where it loads
modules of "other" devices.

> >> it seemed that the problem is that the wctdm24xxp needs to be detected
> >at
> >> boot time by the kernel.
> >> But now the problem is that when i rmmod the wctdm24xxp module and
> >modprobe
> >> it again still system doesn't detect it and sleeps on modprobe utill i
> >kill
> >> it.
> >>
> >> i dont have such a problem with all other cards from digium.
> >> i think this is a weird problem with wctdm24xxp driver.
> >
> >Another theory: only the first modprobe after a boot is successful, and
> >the modules are loaded automatically at boot.
>

> no it's  not true that the first  modprobe is the successful one. it seems
> the card works when kernel detects it and loads the modules itself.
> something that happens before init scripts.
>
> Test: remove the modules copletely, reboot, re-add the modules and
> >modprobe again.
>

> you mean remove the physical modules? if yes i've done it once. made no
> sense

Yes. A long-shot, but easy to accomploish (if you can afford a reboot).

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com