[asterisk-users] Weird problem in wctdm24xxp driver

Paradise Dove pardove at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 13:22:32 MST 2007

On 2/17/07, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 07:52:25PM +0330, Paradise Dove wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running FC3 with kernel 2.6.11.
> > All the binary files and zaptel kernel modules is not available to
> system at
> > boot time.
> > They are extracted in a ram disk at system startup and then zaptel
> modules
> > are loaded manually and so on.
> > I have no problem with this boot routine and i've been tested all digium
> > cards (expect tdm24) and they work fine till now.
> >
> > The problem appeared when i purchased the new TDM2400 card. after
> installing
> > this new card system stopped on modprobe wctdm24xxp ot boot time!
> (randomly
> > sleeping on "Resetting the modules.." / "During Resetting the
> modules..."
> > and sometimes "After resetting the modules...) but no step further.
> > Nothing happened till i killed modprobe manually so no modules detected
> on
> > tdm24. (Port 1: Not Installed, ....)
> > My motherboard is a brand new Intel 3010 chipset from supermicro with
> > 3.3Vpci slots. i also changed the motherboard to Intel 7230 chipset
> > with 5V slot
> > but nothing changed. I also switched back to zaptel-1.2.13 and removed
> the
> > modules from the board and re-inserted them as digium support
> recommended,
> > but nothing changed. I also changed to 2.6.12 kernel but still the same
> > problem.
> >
> > Finally i changed the system startup routine and copied all extracted
> zaptel
> > files to hard-disk into the standard location in kernel dirs and found
> that
> > now system starts-up with no problem and detects TDM24 at boot time!!!
>
> Hmmm...
>
> How exactly do you load the modules? With insmod or modprobe?

when i put zaptel modules in kernel dirs. it detects all the needed modules.
and from the dmesg it seems (as it should be) to load zaptel first and then
wctdm24xxp. so i don't need to do a insmod or modprobe at all. the problem
comes when i rmmod these modules and modprobe or insmod them again.

> > it seemed that the problem is that the wctdm24xxp needs to be detected
> at
> > boot time by the kernel.
> > But now the problem is that when i rmmod the wctdm24xxp module and
> modprobe
> > it again still system doesn't detect it and sleeps on modprobe utill i
> kill
> > it.
> >
> > i dont have such a problem with all other cards from digium.
> > i think this is a weird problem with wctdm24xxp driver.
>
> Another theory: only the first modprobe after a boot is successful, and
> the modules are loaded automatically at boot.

no it's  not true that the first  modprobe is the successful one. it seems
the card works when kernel detects it and loads the modules itself.
something that happens before init scripts.

Test: remove the modules copletely, reboot, re-add the modules and
> modprobe again.

you mean remove the physical modules? if yes i've done it once. made no
sense