[asterisk-users] Does Asterisk support DNIS?

David Ruggles david at safedatausa.com
Sat Feb 17 12:01:02 MST 2007

Yuan (and Matt),

Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry I kind of vented, I just got very frustrated
with trying to configure Asterisk for what (in a proprietary PBX) is
normally one of the easiest parts of configuration.

With a wink start T1 the DNIS digits are transmitted in-band. The Network
goes off hook, the PBX winks (goes off hook for 200ms) and then the network
sends DNIS (and ANI if used) as DTMF tones, after the PBX gets the tones it
answers the call (goes off hook). So you would tell the PBX to look for x
number of digits and then after getting that number of digits it will answer
the call. I have the Sangoma A101 configured for wink start, but I can't
find anything that says how to specify the number DNIS digits to expect. If
the PBX answers the call instead of just winking, the DTMF tones will be
transmitted during the call which is what seems to be happening here.

For more specific information a good overview of the wink start process can
be found here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a0080
1123bb.shtml#topic2a

Can anyone tell me how to configure Asterisk to pickup the DNIS digits off a
wink start T1?

Thanks,

David Ruggles
CCNA MCSE (NT) CNA A+