[asterisk-users] Re: Summary of "Trixbox vs. custom install"

Edward Halman ehalman at myhealthcharts.com
Fri Feb 16 12:34:23 MST 2007

To piggy-back off of what Allen said, much of what I have learned about
configuring Asterisk and working with Linux has come from constructing my
system the manual way.  I use FC5, but I avoid using yum and don't install
from rpms when I can avoid it.  I typically install everything I need from
sources because I can load the modules I need and I know (or can specify)
which directories the binaries, scripts and config files go to.  And in
troubleshooting, I know where to look.  I seem to only have problems when I
take the rpm "shortcut."

Thanks to this list, I can get around dialplans and the SIP config files
with confidence.  I make extensive use of AGI (php and MySQL) in my business
application, all thanks to people on this list.  FreePBX was a great
beginning, but for me, that's all it was good for, a beginning.

I went through a similar metamorphosis with learning to configure postfix
and dovecot.  There is a similar freepbx-like web gui for configuring a mail
server that I used in the beginning as well.

I am a total Linux/Asterisk newbie and the process has been full of growing
pains, but I am glad I went through it.  I owe this list a lot, and of
course a very patient employer who went through many system crashes with me
without pulling his hair out or complaining because the phones were down.

Ed Halman
(718) 705-7451
ehalman at myhealthcharts.com

Message: 26