[asterisk-users] AstLinux + RT PREEMPT

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 00:43:51 MST 2007

Hello everyone,

  (I first sent this several hours ago, it appears it got lost.
Thought I'd give it a second try).

  Now that astlinux-trunk has been coming along very nicely, I thought
I would try to add support for hard realtime capabilities to AstLinux.

  If everything works (and there are no problems with zaptel), with a
little tweaking this should improve the audio quality on systems with
high loads (and probably any system at that) - especially if it is
finely tuned and has zaptel cards.

 The stats:

- Asterisk 1.2.14
- Zaptel 1.2.13
- Kernel 2.6.20
- rt patch 2.6.20-rt5
- everything else from AstLinux...

  If you would like to hack on this, give the astlinux rt branch a try:

svn co https://astlinux.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/astlinux/branches/rt
astlinux-rt

  If you just want to try it on something, I made a bootable iso
("make iso" from the devel environment).  Get it here:

http://www.krisk.org/astlinux/astlinux-rt-r588.iso

(sorry about the krisk.org domain - I don't feel like dealing with
SourceForge right now)

Further reading:

http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RT_PREEMPT_HOWTO

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/

http://rlove.org/schedutils/

 I'm looking for any and all suggestions from Asterisk code gurus -
what things can we do in Asterisk/Zaptel to maximize the potential
when running with RT PREEMPT?

 Thanks, I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

--
Kristian Kielhofner