[asterisk-users] The High Performance Echo Canceller (HPEC)

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Feb 15 17:12:27 MST 2007

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Thursday 15 February 2007 6:51 am, Steve Underwood wrote:
>
>> It looks like octasic have started supplying their echo canceller as
>> host software for zaptel now. I expect either canceller would work with
>> the Sangoma cards, as they currently sit in the zaptel framework too.
>>

> Out of curiosity, why do you suppose that it is the Octasic algorithm which is
> used in Digium's HPEC?  I have no reasons to suspect otherwise, but I'm
> curious as to your reasons for suspecting that is indeed the case.
>
> Oh, and sorry about the incorrect attribution as to which Steve wrote and
> maintains spandsp.  I always get yourself and Steven Critchfield mixed
> up. :-)

I don't suspect that. Others have specifically said Digium are selling
the Adaptive Digital software. However, if you look at Octasic's web
site you will find they are now selling their canceller has host
software *specifically* for use with Asterisk. So, there seem to be two
workable commercial cancellers now. Also, David Rowe's work seems to be
building nicely on what I started 3 years ago, and will probably produce
a viable free canceller soon.

Steve