[asterisk-users] Best FXO Gateway

cb cb at mythtech.net
Thu Feb 15 06:47:44 MST 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 1:12 AM, jameson asterisk wrote:

> Can anyone provide a recommendation based on user experience?
> Feel free to suggest an alternative gateway if one stands out.

I've been working with the Grandstream GXW-4108 (the 8 port version
of the 4108), and it was a rough start, but I *think* all my issues
have been worked out.

Initial setup wasn't too bad, it helped that I found someone else's
notes on it on the Trixbox forum. It it hadn't been for two problems,
I'd have probably been up and running with it in just a few hours.

The two issues I had were 1: I had major logging problems that I
originally blamed on the GXW, but turned out to by my syslog server.
When I changed to a different syslog server, the GXW's logs started
working fantastically. I needed that logging to debug the 2nd issue.

The 2nd problem was more involved, the GXW didn't like my PSTN
connection. It worked wonderfully when connected to my VoIP ATA, but
when I went to PSTN, it had all sorts of problems. I had some back
and forth dialog with Grandstream and they think they found the
problem and fixed it, and sent me a beta test firmware to try out. I
put that online yesterday, and so far it has been working fine, but
yesterday my office was closed due to snow, so I wasn't able to
really stress test it (but I also was not able to reproduce my PSTN
connection problem, which previously I could do with ease, so it
gives me hope that the problem is indeed fixed).

I'll know better today when the office is open and I expect the 8
lines to be in use for a good part of the day with a solid mix of
inbound and outbound calling. If all goes well, then I might be able
to recommend the GXW-410x as a viable unit.

However, it does have one feature that might be a show stopper for
some. It selects the next outbound FXO port in a round robin manner.
There does not appear to be port level control over which FXO port is
used on a given outbound call. This is probably fine for most of the
targeted users (going on price, I'd say they are aiming at the SoHo
market, which is likely to have a single bank of numbers in a single
hunt group, so round robin would work fine). But for some, this could
be a show stopper and prevent them from being able to use the unit. I
personally have to see if it is going to work for me as I actually
have two different hunt groups in my 8 lines, so round robin is less
than ideal for me as it can cause one group to busy out from outbound
calls, while the other has no calls at all. I do plan to send a
feature request to Grandstream to give better control over selecting
outbound ports.

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>