[asterisk-users] The High Performance Echo Canceller (HPEC)

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Feb 14 16:25:46 MST 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 6:00 pm, shadowym wrote:
> Think of what you just said.  You just said a "Central Processing Unit" is
> an "Application Specific Integrated Circuit".
>
> If you say so.....LOL!

Do you disagree that a CPU is not an integrated circuit specialized in dealing
with the application of computing?

Honestly, you're arguing against people who are in the electronics design and
telecommunications industries...  I myself have been in electronics design
for over a decade, and others here have similar telecommunications
experience.  "CPUs can't do EC well" is just a garbage CS-freshman statement.
We've pointed out examples of where general CPUs are doing heavy DSP work and
you sit there with your fingers in your ears, saying "la la la la la... can't
hear you!"

Honestly man, look around and try to see that there are others who know what
they're talking about.  general-purpose CPUs *can* do signal processing, and
modern CPUs have elements which make them VERY DSP like... to the point where
the bottleneck isn't (and hasn't for a while now) been the CPU processing
capability; it's been in keeping it fed with data to keep it from stalling,
and in keeping its FPU busy without stalling out its general processing
abilities.

-A.