[asterisk-users] The High Performance Echo Canceller (HPEC)

Nic Bellamy nicb-lists at vadacom.co.nz
Wed Feb 14 14:53:11 MST 2007

shadowym wrote:
> I gotta take issue with your comments that a HWEC is just software running
> on a DSP.  In the case of Octasic, it's an ASIC.  How it does EC is VERY
> different because.....it's done completely in hardware, not firmware loaded
> into memory and run on a specialized CPU!  Yes, the ASIC does contain an DSP
> but it is customized for EC.  You cannot think of it as a CPU.

You've obviously missed the fact that the Octasic chips have loadable
firmware.

Without being privy to any internal Octasic information, all I can guess
is that their ASIC is a customised DSP core with perhaps more on-chip
fast memory for FIR coefficient storage, and perhaps custom
instructions/custom logic blocks specifically designed to improve the
performance for the type of mathematical operations required for echo
cancellation.

Nobody in their right mind is going to do this entirely in custom
circuitry - if you find a bug in your algorithm, or a way to improve
things, what then - spend a few million on getting your chip rebatched
and tell your users get their soldering irons out?

Anyway, I'm going to shut up now before I get carried away and start a
flame war :-)

Cheers,
    Nic.