[asterisk-users] Bandwidth shapping device

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Feb 14 15:01:45 MST 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Damon Estep wrote:

> Why do that?
>
> Just traffic shape each user/group of IP addresses to the total
> bandwidth you want them to have and then set up a low latency queue for
> voip traffic, that way the voip bandwidth can be used for data when
> there are no calls but will give VoIP traffic priority over other
> traffic.
>
> Any old refurbished Cisco 2611 or 2621 will do the trick.
>
> Look up "low latency queuing" and "traffic shaping" on cisco.com
>
> If you are doing NAT on the router I recommend a general deployment (GD)
> 12.3 IP feature set IOS image.

I have to say, that unless you are quite good at driving Linux or *BSD's
firewall/traffic shaping mechanisms, then I'd probably go for a Cisco -
especially if this is a full-on corp-rat environment.

I would use a Linux box, but then I've been using Linux boxes for a great
number of years including setting up some hairy/scarey traffic management.

Gordon