[asterisk-users] Sending SMS from Asterisk

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed Feb 14 10:29:20 MST 2007

Steve Kennedy wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 03:42:23AM +0100, Patrick wrote:

>>> Well, those are notoriously unreliable. I've had messages take hours to
>>> arrive when sent by the email-to-SMS gateway. I was kinda hoping for
>>> something more direct. Rogers prioritizes internal SMS messages over
>>> e-mailed ones.
>>> What I'd like is some kind of SMSC -- or something that accomplishes the
>>> same thing.
>> Maybe http://www.kannel.org/ provides some useful info.
>
> Kannel is a pretty mature solution, it will drive a local GSM terminal
> or connect through to SMSC's using standard protocols (SMPP, CIMD,
> UCP/EMI etc) or even http/SOAP.
>
> Terminals such as Siemens TC/MC35, Wavecomm, Falcom etc seem to work
> well and Kannel tends to have driver modules for them, also many phones
> can also work. Make sure SIM buffering isn't used or you'll wear out the
> SIM (they have limited writes).

If I understand correctly, this means I'll need an extra SIM just to
send messages -- is that right? I build a Kannel server so that it can
talk to a terminal that is on the network and can send messages.

(It's an awful lot of extra hardware just for messaging capacity that
will only be used by a few users, though.)

What if I don't want to get my own terminal?

> Most operators wont allow direct connectivity unless you delivering
> 10's of millions of SMSs per month and you'll have to go through an
> aggregator.

Can you show me an example of an aggregator?

-Stephen-