[asterisk-users] Sending SMS from Asterisk

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Wed Feb 14 05:06:17 MST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 03:42:23AM +0100, Patrick wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 18:31 -0700, Stephen Bosch wrote:
> > Singer Wang wrote:
> > > by your .ca address I assume your in Canada..
> > > both Telus and Rogers have a email-to-SMS gateway...
> > Well, those are notoriously unreliable. I've had messages take hours to
> > arrive when sent by the email-to-SMS gateway. I was kinda hoping for
> > something more direct. Rogers prioritizes internal SMS messages over
> > e-mailed ones.
> > What I'd like is some kind of SMSC -- or something that accomplishes the
> > same thing.
> Maybe http://www.kannel.org/ provides some useful info.

Kannel is a pretty mature solution, it will drive a local GSM terminal
or connect through to SMSC's using standard protocols (SMPP, CIMD,
UCP/EMI etc) or even http/SOAP.

Terminals such as Siemens TC/MC35, Wavecomm, Falcom etc seem to work
well and Kannel tends to have driver modules for them, also many phones
can also work. Make sure SIM buffering isn't used or you'll wear out the
SIM (they have limited writes).

Most operators wont allow direct connectivity unless you delivering
10's of millions of SMSs per month and you'll have to go through an
aggregator.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com