[asterisk-users] SMS via VoIP and web

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Wed Feb 14 06:32:03 MST 2007

Am Mittwoch, den 14.02.2007, 07:17 +0800 schrieb Ronald Wiplinger:
> Where can I get a starting point for setting up sms via VoIP and via web.
>
>  I want to send SMS from VoIP or web  to VoIP phones and GSM phones.
>
> 1. how to set-up?
> 2. which smsc should I use? (what is the price?)
> 3. which phones can be used?

If you want to have SMS service for SMS/landline capable phones
connected to your Asterisk, the SMS application will be your friend. As
that works all-internal, it is of course free.

The handling of incoming SMS from "the world", as well as outbound SMS,
is far more tricky, and usually requires an outside gateway.

I use the landline SMS facility of several Siemens gigaset phones
connected to my Asterisk server through e.g. AVM boxes, but only for
internal messages. This works fine, after a bit dialplan hacking. You
will need to "Wait()" for at least 2 seconds before the actual SMS
command can take over, else you will have lots of failed calls. This at
least applies to my Siemens/AVM combination. Reliable after inserting a
2 second wait.

For anything else, I prefer using my mobile phone, just thinking about
those 100 free texts a month that I never manage to use up :)

BR
Anselm