[asterisk-users] Cisco Router for supply a connection from PABX to Asterisk

Yehavi Bourvine +972-8-9489444 YEHAVI at VMS.HUJI.AC.IL
Mon Feb 12 00:20:00 MST 2007

> anyone know if they have a solution in Cisco for:
>
>     1- Connect old PABX (with BRI or PRI) to a cisco router
>     2- Connect this cisco router in SIP to a Asterisk Server
>
> I am search if cisco can this and what is the modele for this

I am using a Cisco to connect Asterisk via PRI to our Nortel TX-1. The Cisco is
a "voice bundle" of 2,811 + E1 + PDLM card. Note that you need PDLMs as the
same number as the PRI channels you are going to define (i.e. 32 PDLMs for each
PRI).

I am controlling the Cisco via SIP; it works, but a few problems:

- Only basic connectivity. No additional features (like names) as the Cisco
  supports them only via MGCP (in MGCP is passes all the Q.sig signals to the
  PBX - Asterisk in this case - and it should do all the handling, but
  I did not find how to do it with Asterisk).

- Cisco has no authentication mechanism, so anyone which has access to port
  5060 of it can generate calls. Asterisk is not better when it concerned in
  such sutiations...

                                 Regards, __Yehavi: