[asterisk-users] Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 Sharing NIC IRQ with Digium Card

Leo Ann Boon leo at datvoiz.com
Sun Feb 11 19:11:15 MST 2007

Matt wrote:
> Leo,
> I am sorry.  Yes I mean IO-APIC.   So basically the output of lspci -v
> are the same as cat /proc/interrupts.
>
> It is a riser, I will check on that.
>
> So here's my questions then.  If APIC routes the IRQs to 1-15 for real
> world use....can you safely have two devices on, say, 14?   APIC will
> assign one to maybe 23 and one to 20.  But are they really both on 15
> with a potential for conflict?
The conflict only happens if your OS is not APIC aware or buggy
hardware. In fact 15, is usually used for the secondary IDE port. The
reason APIC exists is to support SMP and the plethora of new devices
that are present on any modern motherboard. On my nforce motherboard
with IO-APIC, lscpi  -vb will show lots of devices using IRQ 15. But,
I've never seen IRQ misses on any one of them. The same goes for our
production systems running Pentium D or Xeon 51x0.

Leo