[asterisk-users] Mini-ITX board + FXO PCI card?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Feb 11 02:06:19 MST 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Vincent Delporte wrote:

> Hello
>
> Before I order a Travla C156 case
> (http://206.14.132.88/products/Travla/c156/C156.html), a Via mini-ITX
> motherboard (either the fanless ME6000
> http://idotpc.com/TheStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=50&idproduct=4 or the
> fan-equipped M10000
> http://idotpc.com/TheStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=50&idproduct=163 ) , and
> a PCI FXO card from Digium or OpenVox... has someone already built that kind
> of box, and could tell me if it's powerful enough to power a small PBX?

Check the processor spec. carefully. There are a few  variants of the VIA
processor and some have 64KB of cache and other 128KB.

I've deployed several fanless CN1000 systems which have 128KB of cache,
but my R&D system has an older (533MHz) processor with 64KB of cache. (All
with TDM400 cards)

The thing that will kill these boards is transcoding.

Also make sure you compile asterisk for an i586 - the Via processors while
looking like i686 are lacking some instructions that causes asterisk to
code-dump at boot time.

I have some VIA EK processor systems, 1GHz, 64KB cache with a fan which I
use as routers (2 on-board ethernet ports) and I've never been able to get
the fan to run at any time other than boot time, so if the boards you're
looking at have fans, I'd guess they were connected the same way and only
came on when they got hot, but I'd still go fanless (& diskless) if
possible.

Gordon