[asterisk-users] Detect hang-up

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Feb 9 19:07:55 MST 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 02:45:17PM -0800, Yuan LIU wrote:
> >From: "David Ruggles" <david at safedatausa.com>
> >Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 16:43:41 -0500
> >
> >I've been doing some googling and I found references to using debug=1 with
> >wctdm to see what's actually going on. It says this will be printed to the
> >console. I'm running my * box headless in another room and sshing in to the
> >box. I can't find where the debug out (if there is any) is going. Can any
> >one point me in the right directions?
>
> Two things to try.  One is to simply start in console mode remotely (forget
> safe_asterisk).  The other is to modify safe_asterisk script and disable
> console on ttyS9.  Then when you start a remote console, STDERR will be
> there.

You seem to confuse several things:

The messages that were enabled are debug messages emmited by a kernel
module.

Messages of a kernel modules may be printed to the console (depending on
the console logging priority. You normally *don't* want it to print
debug messages directly to the console.

You can also see the recent kernel messages (a buffer of at least 16kB
of the last mkernel messages) as the output of 'dmesg' .

Kernel messages are also sent to syslog. Most systems are configured not
to log debug messages. But you can edit /etc/syslog.conf (and restart
syslog) to have it to make it log debug messages, or all kernel
messages, or whatever.

For instance, the following line in syslog.conf:

kern.*  /var/log/kern.log

Will log all kernel messages (including debugging ones) to
/var/log/kern.log. To look at the latest:

  tail -f /var/log/kern.log

(I'm not aware of a simple way of doing this with dmesg)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com