[asterisk-users] Dialplan checkup

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 18:02:34 MST 2007

>From: Barry Fawthrop <barry at ttienterprises.org>
>Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:35:43 -0500
>
>Hi All
>
>Curious will this work
>Std. PSTN line  ---x------ X100p
>                   ------ Fax Machine
>Using a standard "home phone" pstn line with a splitter connecting a fax
>machine and X100 Asterisk Box
>Incoming Line: Can I have in the dial Plan
>[incoming]
>exten  => s,1,Wait(1)
>exten  => s,2,IfFax continue to ring, so that the Fax Machine gets it
>exten  => s,3,Answer
>exten  => s,4,Playback(Message)
>exten  => s,5,Dial(SIP/1000&SIP/2000&SIP/3000)
>exten  => s,6,Hangup()
>exten  => fax,1,Wait(30)
>exten  => fax,2,Wait(10)
>exten  => fax,3,Hangup()
>                 I'm wanting the line to ring,
>If it is a fax coming in then Asterisk leaves the line alone and lets the
>fax machine handle the call. If it is a call then Asterisk answers, plays a
>greeting and rings the IP phones?
>
>Question is how does asterisk detect the call without answering?
>I'm not wanting Asterisk to handle the call if it is a fax if possible???

My impression is no (reliable) way.  Asterisk doesn't do silent answer kind
of stuff.

However, if you can be flexible, many FAX machines have silent answer and
includes a feature to ring the hand set if it determines the call is not for
FAX.  You may be able to find a model that allows ringing of an external
phone set.

Yuan Liu