[asterisk-users] Red alarms

Wayne Jensen wayne at srmarketresearch.com
Thu Feb 8 19:34:53 MST 2007

On 2/8/07, Don Pobanz <dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com> wrote:
> > Asterisk is getting red alarms on my T1, sometimes once or twice a
> > day, but today it happened 5 times.  Even once is too many.  Every
> > call in progress is dropped.
>
> Red alarm means that the hardware is not seeing the T1 signal coming in.
> This most likely is a cable or wiring or perhaps a hardware problem.

I know that it's not wiring because it's never happened before in the
year and a half that we've been using it, and if I disconnect the
asterisk box and use it the same way we've been using it, the problem
goes away.  same cabling, just unplugging the cable from the channel
bank and plugging it into the Digium card.

does this mean that the Digium card is bad?  or is there something in
the configuration that could make it not see the T1 signal coming in?
I don't see how it would be, but is it possible that a bad cable
between the Digium card and the channel bank (channels 49-72 on the
card) could cause a red alarm on channels 1-24?

I've used the same Digium card in two different boxes and got the same
red alarms, so I doubt it's a problem with the computer it's in.

The red alarms only happen when there's a high volume of calls going
through, but it doesn't *always* happen when there's a high volume.