[asterisk-users] Linux Kernel Timer Frequency and Asterisk

Mark Coccimiglio n3whx at amsat.org
Wed Feb 7 17:53:19 MST 2007

Ok here is a real geek question,

I building my own linux kernel for my asterisk system and came across
the kernel setting for the timer frequency.  I have one of 3 hardcode
choices 100Hz, 250 Hz and 1000Hz.  From what I understand the default
Freq was changed from 100Hz in kernel 2.4 to 1000Hz (1KHz) in kernel
2.6.  Timing is a BIG issue in asterisk with all the TDM and zap channel
stuff.  My guess is to go with the lower 100 or 250 Hz option but that
is only a guess.  The 1KHz sounds like it will conflict with the Zap
1khz timer (or am I wrong about that).  Does anyone know what the
prefered settings are for Trixbox or AsteriskNOW (or the asterisk code
forks e.g. OpenPBX)?  Please let me know what your experience has been.

Aloha,
Mark C
IS Director - Payroll Services Hawaii, Inc.
http://www.psh-inc.com
FWD: 293625