[asterisk-users] Asterisk and 802.11g

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 15:46:09 MST 2007

>>From: Jason Fuermann <jbf005 at shsu.edu>
>>Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 10:33:26 -0600
>>
>>your asterisk box has to do audio conversion, its getting bogged down

I realize that I forgot to give some important details.  Actually the VoIP
caller in question is from another Asterisk sitting on the same LAN but on
Ethernet.  Additionally, calls from a SIP hard phone (GrandStream, pictured
as VoIP extension in the original drawing from same LAN) directly to the
Wi-Fi Asterisk into PSTN have not caused any network blockage.  So the
complete scenarios are like this:

1. <--- FXS-Asterisk-Asterisk-FXO,

caller
   |_ FXS _ *A --- 802.11g --- *B

                                      FXO ___ PSTN ___ recepient

---> bad, causing Wi-Fi blockage

2. <--- FXS-Asterisk-Asterisk-Console,

caller
   |_ FXS _ *A --- 802.11g --- *B

                                   Console ___ recepient

---> acceptable, no Wi-Fi congestion

3. <--- GrandStream-Asterisk-PSTN,

caller
   |_ GrandStream --- 802.11g --- *B

                                       FXO ___ PSTN ___ recepient

---> acceptable, no Wi-Fi congestion

Each scenario engages the same Wi-Fi network to the same Asterisk box (*B).
The network blockage only occurs when two Asterisk boxes are involved.
(Senario 1)

Any idea? (There's little extra traffic in Wi-Fi, nor is there any other
active channel in any Asterisk.)

Yuan Liu