[asterisk-users] Detecting answer with an analogue card

shadowym shadowym at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 7 22:35:40 MST 2007

I have not had any problems with hangup detection in N America. At least not
with Sangoma cards in Eastern and Western Canada.  As long as the central
office your analog lines are connected to support kewlstart which means they
momentarily disconnect the loop current when the other end hangs up.  I
think almost all if not all central offices support this now a days.

That's the easy part.  The problem I have run into is answer detection.  A
lot of central offices do not support this.  If they do usually it is done
by reversing the polarity.  If lines don't have this then you have to set
Asterisk to automatically just assumes the line is answered after it dials
which is a problem for some things like forwarding to a landline phone or
cell but still wanting to switch to voicemail if nobody answers after x
seconds.

The call progress detection in Asterisk that tries to listen to the sound to
try figure out what is happening is not usable at all.  Way too many false
detections.