[asterisk-users] Detecting answer with ISDN (fork of Detecting answer with an analogue card)

Stefano Corsi scorsi at floo.it
Mon Feb 5 15:50:20 MST 2007

At 21.20 05/02/2007, you wrote:
>On Monday 05 February 2007 2:58 pm, Stephen Bosch wrote:
> > For those of us without first-hand experience here, what happens when
> > using "progressinband"?
>
>spontaneous hangups are the biggest one.

Ok, understood. But I'm still very curious: what is the wife test ?! :)

> > ...and at this point, why wouldn't you just put a BRI card in the
> > Asterisk server and skip the intermediate hardware?
>
>This is precisely why I said he was getting beyond the practical.  :-)

Because my customer bought a custom server with only _two_ PCI full
length slot and those are used for the two TDM2400 cards (40 fxs). I
wasn't aware of this "ANSWER detection" problem and my solution is
aimed to an hotel, so the billing is, how to say, mandatory... Then I
have to pay some piece of hardware that _does_ detect answer and that
does not request any PCI slot... the cheaper I've found (and with
good reviews) is the Inalp Patton. Could you help me understanding
if, with an ISDN device connected to asterisk with SIP, I could be
reasonably sure to get correct CDR billing records? And what about
the case that Andrew pointed out: the "the number you have reached
has been disconnected" case... would I get a billing record or not,
using an ISDN device connected to Asterisk with SIP ?! The telco does
not bill for those answers, so the hotel's guests probably expect
themselves not to be billed too...

PBXs in Italy seems to react to the Telco "scatti" ("marks", "billing
pulses"). Isn't there such a concept in US? Is there a way to
intercept such Telco events?

Rgds
Stefano