[asterisk-users] Re: unable to create channel, in strange state, exited non-zero, etc.

Wayne Jensen wayne at srmarketresearch.com
Fri Feb 2 10:44:05 MST 2007

On 1/25/07, Wayne Jensen <wayne at srmarketresearch.com> wrote:
> I'm having various issues that may or may not be related to each other (I'm
> pretty sure they are).  We've had this system for a year now (quad T1 card,
> right now we have 1 T1 coming in, 2 going out to channel banks) and we've
> had intermittent "ghost" calls--it appears that what is happening is a call
> is made, the number being called is disconnected/busy/answering
> machine/whatever, we hang up and the phone starts ringing.  Answer the phone
> and it's that same call still not hung up.
>
> That problem hadn't happened very often so we didn't worry too much about
> it.  It was just a little annoying.  We had pretty low traffic on the system
> though and were mostly still using our old phone system.
>
> On Monday I switched so that all of the phones are going through this
> Asterisk system and Tuesday morning we started having major problems.  Calls
> were being dropped in the middle of the call.  At times, everyone who was
> trying to make a call would get a "fast busy" and "Unable to create channel
> of type 'Zap'" showed up in the logs.
>
> Yesterday we had various Red and Yellow alarms.  Here are a few lines from
> the logs:
>
> Yesterday:
> Jan 24 10:01:47 WARNING[12435] chan_zap.c: Detected alarm on channel 24: Red
> Alarm
>  Jan 24 10:02:11 NOTICE[25813] app_dial.c: Unable to create channel of type
> 'Zap' (cause 34 - Circuit/channel congestion)
>
> Today:
> Jan 25 08:39:23 WARNING[6863] chan_zap.c: zt hook failed: Device or resource
> busy
> Jan 25 08:40:32 WARNING[932] chan_zap.c: Ring/Off-hook in strange state 6 on
> channel 2
>
> From console:
>   == Spawn extension (phones-agent, 1510272xxxx, 2) exited non-zero on
> 'Zap/95-1'

Still having problems here.  Today there was a red alarm on channels
1-24 (the T1 going out to the telco) and all calls were dropped.  This
has also happened several other times.  We've been using this T1
without the asterisk box for over a year now and this has never
happened before, and even now if I disconnect the asterisk box and run
the line straight into a channel bank it doesn't happen.  I've googled
and googled and can't figure it out.

E&M Wink signalling
B8ZS/ESF

Thanks!