[asterisk-users] How to Clone Asterisk

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Feb 2 03:09:54 MST 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 12:29 am, Robert DeVries wrote:
> Assuming I install Asterisk on the new machine, does anyone know what files
> I would have to copy over?  What comes to mind are the *.conf files in
> /etc/asterisk, as well as the voicemail audio files.  Anything else?

Asterisk is actually pretty nice in the sense that all of the data is
organized under very few directories:
/etc/asterisk
/usr/lib/asterisk
/var/lib/asterisk
/var/spool/asterisk

if you want your logs:
/var/log/asterisk

If you want to copy the binaries you'll also need
/usr/sbin/asterisk
/usr/sbin/astgenkey
/usr/sbin/aelparse
/usr/sbin/autosupport
/usr/sbin/muted
/usr/sbin/rasterisk
/usr/sbin/safe_asterisk
/usr/sbin/smsq
/usr/sbin/stereorize
/usr/sbin/streamplayer

And the man pages:
/usr/share/man/man8/asterisk.8
/usr/share/man/man8/astgenkey.8
/usr/share/man/man8/autosupport.8
/usr/share/man/man8/safe_asterisk.8

Zaptel, however, isn't quite so pretty due to the nature of the beast:
/etc/zapata.conf
/sbin/ztcfg
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc

(the modules dir may have non-zaptel modules in there too, and you may have
more tools than just ztcfg to copy over).  If you're running a different
kernel on the new machine, you'll have to rebuild the zaptel modules,
naturally.

Finally, if you have any custom scripts, sounds, callfile templates or other
self-generated data outside of the directory paths mentioned above, you'll of
course need to copy those, too.

HTH,
-A.